Security measures on our cards
We employ a range of security measures to protect you against the theft, loss, or unauthorized use of your debit and credit cards.
Purchases in physical stores.
Our cards have an integrated EMV chip with PIN technology.
All Unicaja Banco cards have an integrated EMV chip as a security feature that protects against cloning and against the risk of fraud by authenticating the cardholder data in encrypted form. This means you simply have to enter your personal identification number (PIN) when using the card for purchases at physical stores. This method means that you no longer need to sign the receipt when making the transaction.
The security of the CHIP of Unicaja cards is updated regularly in accordance with the Security standards indicated by the international card brands VISA and MasterCard. Our Cards are currently issued under the DDA security standard. Mastercard Cards will be issued under the CDA security standard starting in 2016:
- Dynamic data authentication (DDA): Technology that provides protection against data tampering and card cloning. This is implemented through the dynamic authentication of data using public-key cryptography.
- Combined data authentication (CDA): A more advanced technology that allows for greater security in data processing.
- Virtual card: you will not have to provide the real number on your card, as you can generate a fictitious card number for each purchase, with a spending limit and expiration date that you choose (no more than 2 months). To take advantage of this service, you just have to be a UniVía user. We would like to point out that you should not use a virtual card to pay if you need to present the card afterwards to pick up your purchase (for example: tickets to the cinema, shows, etc.). In these cases, we recommend that you use Unicaja Banco's Prepaid Card.
- Secure commerce: Unicaja Banco is a member of the Verified by Visa and MasterCard Secure Code secure payment systems. An e-commerce store that is registered as a secure store will redirect you to a "secure" site when you make the purchase, where you must enter a security code that we will send to your mobile phone number. This way, only you will be able to use your card to make the purchase and the seller will also be assured that the buyer is the legitimate cardholder.
- Setting up limits per transaction: Unicaja Banco has quantitative spending limits. Once these limits have been exceeded, your card transactions will not be processed. You must visit one of our Branches in person to change these limits.
- Configuring the card for online transactions: This service allows you to modify the preferences associated with your cards. Control marks have been created to restrict the use of physical cards on the Internet. You can therefore mark a card to prevent it being used on the Internet, or so that you can use it online for a limited period or permanently. This mark can be managed in our Branches, through our ATMs or through UniVía.
- Configuring the card for use abroad: You also have the option of modifying the preferences associated with your cards. Control marks have been created to restrict the use of physical cards abroad. Before going abroad, check the mark of your card so you do not have problems when using it. This mark can be managed in our Branches, through our ATMs or through UniVía.
- Configuring the card for online use only under Secure Commerce systems . The card can only be used in stores with the highest level of security; you will not be able to use it in stores whose system does not allow payments through the secure commerce system. You must process this request through the Card and ATM Service (Telephone no. +34 952 07 62 60).
If you have contracted Unicaja's Alert Service, every time you perform a transaction with your card, you will receive an alert by SMS and/or e-mail. If you receive a message about a transaction that you have not made, please call +34 952 07 62 60 immediately.
If our security system detects any suspicious activity on your card, we will contact you to verify the charges and proceed to block the transaction or card in the event of a fraudulent transaction.
Reporting incidents and card blocking
24-hour support telephone line: +34 952 07 62 60 to notify us of any incident or to quickly cancel your cards in the case of loss or theft. You can also notify us of the loss or theft of your card through UniVía.
Blocking and unblocking procedures
If one of your payment instruments (cards, credentials (PIN)) is blocked, contact Unicaja Banco at one of our Branches and/or by calling: +34 952 07 62 60.
Practical advice to enhance the security of your cards
To minimise the risk of becoming a victim of credit card fraud, we recommend that you take the following precautions:
- Protect and manage your 4-digit secret number (PIN)
- Memorise your PIN and do not tell it to anyone.
- Never leave it written in your wallet or next to your card, so that it cannot fall into the hands of others in the event of loss or theft.
- Avoid using known numbers directly related to you for you PIN, such as your car's number plate, the year you were born, your DNI...
- When shopping, keep your PIN protected from the view of others when typing it.
- Change your PIN regularly. You can do so in any Unicaja Banco Branch.
- If you have a credit card, adjust the limits to your needs.
- Do not lose sight of your card when handing it over to make a purchase.
- Review your account statements periodically and check that there are no suspicious transactions. You can review them with our UniVía online banking system.
- Sign the back of the card in the signature panel as soon as you receive your card.
- Never give your credit card number or personal information over the phone unless you are the one who started the call to perform a transaction.
If a new card is sent to your home to replace the old one:
- Sign it
- Activate it as soon as possible
- Destroy the expired card
When using your card in ATMs:
- Be aware of the people around you
- After completing the transaction, put your card and cash safely away immediately.
- Prepare any document or action you need before you arrive at the ATM. This will keep the time you have to spend at the ATM to a minimum.
In the event of loss, theft or unauthorised use of the card, notify us immediately, as soon as you become aware of it at +34 952 07 62 60 and we will block your card to avoid possible fraudulent use. You can block your card yourself through UniVía.